Summer has officially begun and we are definitely feeling it already. Our local weather forecast does not show even a possibility of relief, with our temps expected in the upper 90s for at least the next week! We actually hit 100 degrees last Saturday, but thankfully had a pleasant break for Father's day and only went up to about 82 that day. I think we will be spending a lot of time in the canyons this summer. Thankfully Ryan has been working up in the Park City area for the last week and will probably be there for some time to come, so he gets somewhat of a break from the heat up there. (Though the drive time & gas cost is quite unpleasant!!)
Our ward had another successful Mother's Day breakfast on the Saturday just before Mother's Day. As our activities committee consists mostly of mothers, it was worked out that we would just plan and shop for this activity, and then the men would set up, prepare the meal and clean up afterwards. After breakfast that morning, we had planned to meet Ryan's family at the zoo for a special Mom & Me at the Zoo day that Emily had heard about. Apparently many others had heard about the festivities and the zoo was packed. We purchased a family membership pass, however, so we can go back on a less crowded day. We met Ryan's Mom, his sister Kelsi, brother Clayton and his sister Emily with her husband Nate and son Darian. We split up in three directions with the girls going with Kelsi and Grandma, Andrew stuck with Clayton, and Ryan and I kept Adalyn and Austyn and walked around Em & Nate. Austyn was not in the mood for the zoo, probably because he did more playing than eating at the "breakfast", so he was ready to go about 15 minutes after we got there. The girls had a fun time getting their faces painted and making some crafts. Andrew had fun just hanging out with Clayton for awhile. Adalyn enjoyed what animals she could see, though it seems that we came during nap time for many of them. After about an hour, none of us were disappointed to leave and go to a park for lunch. The other two groups just met us there, and Austyn was in a much better mood after a sandwich or two. After lunch we headed home to unload and load up in preparation for our next planned activity. Since we would be spending Mother's Day dinner with Ryan's family, my sisters thought it would be fun to have dinner in the canyon for our own celebration the day before. We loaded up some wood, hot dogs, jell-o salad and drinks, and we headed back out to meet up with JennyLyn, Mary & Frank and their kids. The canyon was really pleasant and NOT crowded at all. We had an enjoyable dinner and visit, then headed back home for baths & bed for the kids, and for me to get started on my Mandatory Overtime work for the weekend.
With such a busy day on Saturday, I was not able to get much of my OT work done, so unfortunately I spent most of Mother's Day working :-( Ryan, however, did try to make the best of things for me and was able to get the house cleaned up, with the help of the kids. Ryan also made me breakfast and gave me an awesome new stereo/MP3/DVD player. It is a little bigger than a boom box, but small enough to be easily moved around. I also got a nice stash of chocolate to last me for a few days. I had to miss out on our Mother's Day dinner at the park, but Ryan took the kids and I was able to take advantage of that quiet time to finish up my weekend work.
Both Monday and Tuesday of that week we spent a couple of hours going back and forth to the doctor's office. Austyn and Adalyn both had checkups, and Alexia ended up sick as well. Adalyn is still very small for her age, and not growing very fast, but she is a happy baby and knows a lot. Austyn is just right and ready for kindergarten this year. He laughed hysterically through his three immunizations, screaming only when the nurse told him to as she poked him.
Wednesday Ryan and Andrew headed to Moab with Ryan's dad and his brothers, Clayton and Eric, for a Jeep four-wheeling camping trip. They rented a Jeep down in Moab Thursday morning, then spent Thursday and Friday driving through Canyonlands on the White Rim Trail. They were a little worried as it rained most of the afternoon and evening Wednesday, but it cleared up into Thursday and the rest of the time the weather was great. We really missed Ryan and Andrew while they were away. The other kids and I went over to Emily & Nate's place Friday night, as Nate was out of town as well. We had dinner there and the kids watched a movie downstairs while Emily and I watched a different show upstairs. It was really fun to get out for a couple of hours that evening. Then on Saturday morning the girls participated in a short parade and dance performance at the Magna Rec Center. The boys were welcomed back around 3:00 that afternoon with only minimal sunburns, but a lot of dirt.
Austyn's last preschool field trip for the year was a trip to Copperton Park. With my work at home and Adalyn to tend to, I don't often volunteer to help out at the school. I do try to help with things at home or bring treats when needed, but I thought I should try to at least participate in the last activity of the year. So, I volunteered to go along for the field trip. Emily and Darian came over that Monday around 8:00 to be here with Adalyn. Ashley ended up home sick that day, though it was mostly just some sinus congestion and a headache. She was in bed most of the day, but it was helpful for Emily to have Adalyn sit with Ashley for awhile when she was getting tired. Austyn was really excited to ride the bus for his field trip. The day started out quite rainy, but the kids didn't mind and after about an hour the sun came out and dried out the playground. The kids enjoyed more playing after their picnic lunch, then the rain started up again and it was time to go home.
I finally decided to get established with a regular physician, since I haven't had anyone but my OB/GYN for the last 12 years. I found a female physician who's office is much closer to us and I was able to go in and get physical exam. Looks like I'm healthy :-) I also got a tetanus shot while there, since it's been about 17 years since my last one.
My mom had surgery near the end of May, then had to return to the hospital a few days later because she developed blood clots. Everything seems to be under control now and she is home, feeling more and more back to normal each day.
On Memorial Day we went up to Jenny & Brent's place for a barbecue and to celebrate JennyLyn's birthday. It was nice to actually have that day OFF of work. It will be even nicer next year when that holiday will be paid time off of work! Jenny is becoming more and more uncomfortable as her due date nears, but now less than 6 weeks to go.
The kids had their last day of school on Friday, June 1st, so we are All here All the time now, plus usually a few extras. They are enjoying their break from school. At least every other day I try to make a list of chores that need to be done before they can play, so that has helped out a bit in getting things done around the house.
We celebrated Alexia's 6th birthday with a family party on June 3rd. She got some really cute clothes and accessories as well. On her actual birthday, June 5th, we went to dinner at McDonald's and the kids played for just a few minutes before we had to run the girls to their dance dress rehearsal.
Ashley and Alexia had their dance recital performances on two nights, Wednesday June 6th and Thursday June 7th. They really did a great job and had a lot of fun. Kelsi, Emily, Nate and Conrad were all able to come see the show on Wednesday. Grandma Shirley, JennyLyn, Ryan and I, along with the other kids, were able to watch their Thursday performance. It was definitely another busy week.
Saturday June 9th I helped out with a baby shower for my sister JennyLyn. It was fun company and good eating, and since we had the party at Jenny's place, I didn't have to clean my house beforehand. Ryan was working a side job that day, so I brought Adalyn and Austyn along for the party. Andrew stayed behind to practice his piano and the girls were spending the day with Kelsi after a sleepover for Alexia's birthday.
Friday June 15th was Alexia's surgery day, since the kids were out of school and the dance recital was past. Alexia and I were up early and down to the Surgery Center by 7:15 a.m. Knowing that a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy is such a common procedure, I was actually a bit surprised how nervous I became the day/night before her surgery. I did not get much sleep worrying that something might go wrong. With my lack of sleep and continued anxiety, by the time she was out of surgery I felt like I was going to pass out, or throw up, or both :-( She did fine, though, and once the pain medicine kicked in and more of the anesthesia wore off, she was feeling a lot better that afternoon. The next week-and-a-half was full of ups and downs. She would start feeling better, then try to do too much, so she would end up back in bed for the afternoon. Just when her energy level was about back to normal, she got to the second stage of pain where the scabs fall off, so she was miserable once again for about three days that time. I think we are finally in the clear and she seems to be almost back to normal and no longer in pain.
This past Saturday, June 23rd, Ryan's youngest brother Eric was married. It was a long day, starting with the temple ceremony first thing in the morning. After a few pictures on the temple grounds, Ryan and I drove home to pick up the kids for the wedding luncheon. After the luncheon we did not want to drive all the way back home, since we would have to come back for more pictures and the reception in just a couple hours. With another 100 degree day, we thought a park would be too uncomfortable, so we decided to walk through the mall for awhile. We made it back to the church for pictures by 4:40, though the parents didn't get there until 5:30 for the family pictures. Most deliciously they had a chocolate fountain for the reception. Ashley especially loved this and went back and back and back for more chocolate covered strawberries. I practically had to drag her away from that chocolate, though I have to admit it was really yummy. I may just have to buy some chocolate for us so we can have our own little chocolate fondue strawberry dipping party. By the end of the day I was hit hard with a migraine, that even Mountain Dew couldn't help, so I was really hoping to get to bed quickly when I got home. Unfortunately, Ryan beat me to it and was already in bed when I got home with Ashley at 7:00. So instead, I spent some time preparing a lesson for Ashley's primary class which I was to substitute the next day.
Waking up Sunday morning that headache was still there, but since Ryan had had such a good amount of sleep, he was able to get the kids up and going so we all still made it to church on time. Thankfully my headache was somewhat lessened for those couple hours of church and I was then able to come home and take a nap.
This week Andrew has his 5th and 6th grade camp this week at Mill Hollow Camp, so he has been gone since 7:30 Monday morning. I'm sure he is enjoying his time up there as he knows he will be doing a lot of piano practicing starting when he gets home Wednesday afternoon. Andrew and Ashley have their piano recital this Saturday and Andrew is still polishing up his two pieces for that performance.
After Saturday's recital it looks like we will have a bit of a break through July from piano lessons and dance. We have a couple family reunions the first week of July. Ashley, Alexia and Austyn will head back to school at the end of July and Andrew will start with football in August. So far no family camping trips planned, though just Ryan and the boys might go on an overnighter in early July.
Wow, I can't believe this is so long! Thanks for coming by to see what we've been up to. We would love to hear from you too, so keep in touch! Thanks! Julie :-)
1 comment:
Wow, Julie! I always get exhausted just reading about all of your goings-on. You certtainly seem to hold it all together very well with your little family.
I saw MaryAnn at church on Sunday. She said you may be coming down for Heather's wedding?? Is that true? Let me know!
Post a Comment