Thursday, August 30, 2007

STILL SUMMER!

You know, it just doesn't seem right that the kids have been back in school for a month now and there is still no sign of Fall! This heat wave is driving me crazy! It is now official, however, that this has been the HOTTEST summer in the history of Salt Lake City. If that isn't proof enough, you should see my electric bills! Ridiculous! I can't even afford to by food anymore, but that's okay because I don't want to turn on the oven to cook anything anyway:-) Too Hot!

After some rather expensive van repairs this past summer (over half-a-thousand dollars), our van now sits in the driveway the majority of the time as to delay the need for more gas as LONG as possible. We have ventured up to Millcreek Canyon a few times this summer, but haven't even made it as far as Park City or beyond. I was really hoping for a little camping trip this upcoming Labor Day weekend, but I'll probably have to spend most of the time trying to catch up on work.

I realize I have put this off for way too long, so I dare not try to catch up in detail all that has gone on this past two months. We had a couple reunions in July and August. Andrew got a checkup (first since kindergarten) and he is fine. He didn't even need to update his tetanus vaccine, as he luckily had one in the emergency room a couple years ago when he gashed his head open. Lets see, a scout overnighter for Andrew and Ryan, a couple birthday dinners, Independence Day, Pioneer Day, and the kids back to school.

My sister JennyLyn had her baby on Sunday, July 29th. They named him Ammon Scott Taft. With the coming of the new baby, my mom and my brother Jimmy came into town on Monday July 30th. Mom went up to help Jenny at her place, and Jimmy stayed here. My dad and the other 3 boys made it to town on Friday, August 3rd. Jimmy and Dave stayed here with us for the next week. Andrew enjoyed some fun activities with them while they were in town, then went home with them to California to spend a week-and-a-half before his school started. As part of his birthday present, Andrew flew home from California on Wednesday, August 22nd. Junior high started the following Monday.

We had our ward Ice Cream Social, an Elders' Quorum Pinewood derby and our Relief Society Renewal to finish off our summer events.

We also had some sickness to go along with all the fun. I am pretty sure almost everyone in our family had some sort of stomach bug at some time or another during August. Thankfully, usually only lasting a day, though Ashley had complaints of stomach pain for about 3 days.

Can't forget, we lost a library CD, so now Ryan can't use his library card until we can afford to pay the $25 fee that is on there. I finally got my $12 paid off. (Those DVD late fees are killer if you forget 4 at a time!)

We have Scout Court of Honor tonight, and Andrew will be receiving a couple awards. My bro Dave is flying in on Saturday, to stay for a week, before Marianne drives him up to BYU-Idaho next Saturday. The girls' dance classes start back up next week, and Ashley and Andrew are back in piano lessons after a 1-month summer break.

Thankfully Junior High is not causing the stress I anticipated and Andrew actually enjoys school!

The pile of papers on my desk is never ending, especially when everybody else is adding THEIR stuff to it. The house is practically clean, except for my office, of course, as that is the dumping place for things that don't exactly have a "place." Our water softener has been without salt for at least a month now, and I can really see the difference in the dishes going through the dishwasher.

Adalyn has started nursery, however, she is not as excited as we were about that. She still hasn't made it longer than 45 minutes. Once the toys are picked up, she won't even stay in there with one of us. I guess we'll just keep trying. Maybe if we bring her back in at treat time?

It sounds like everyone is home now, and Adalyn is up from her nap, so I can type no more. Sorry for such a brief summary of our never-ending summer! Thanks ALL for your comments and emails. I look forward to hearing from you! J-Will :-)

1 comment:

Lara said...

It's been a scorcher here today, if that makes you feel any better--107. SO HOT! And some rain and wicked wind. Just bizzare weather all around.