Friday, March 30, 2012

Is There Anybody Out There?

I'm beginning to think that no one blogs anymore, not that I'm any exception. I've been really slacking on the updates this past year for sure! But, when I'm taking a break from work in the evening, and I've already read ALL the status updates on Facebook, and ALL the local and national news, I start looking for my friends' blog updates. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing many these days. Don't get me wrong, I definitely LOVE the quick and easy updates I see on Facebook, but sometimes I like to know what's REALLY going on in your lives. Reading your blogs is kind of like group therapy for me. Sometimes it's just nice to know that EVERYONE has bad days, sad days, hard times, personal struggles and even though they are different, I can relate. Other times it's great just to read your funny stories, kids' quotes and your good news, it makes me happy too:) So, if you haven't blogged in a while, take a minute and type a quick post. It doesn't have to be a catch-up on everything you've been doing over the past year (or two), just a little something to get you going again. I'll try to update more often as well ;)

Alexia had her nasal/sinus surgery last week and everything went well. She was even back to school on Monday! She can finally breathe through her nose again and now she thinks her voice sounds different, probably because she's not all stuffed up all the time! She did GREAT with her postop visit, getting some of the remaining goop "vacuumed" out of her sinuses, and we BOTH deserved an ice cream shake after that:)

Andrew has been super busy with work, school, track and scouts. He's learning a little about managing his money as he has to pay for his own car insurance and gas. We were able to buy a used car from my sister-in-law for $500 since it won't pass emissions inspection. Luckily, emissions isn't required for registration in this county, so we can drive it legally here. It's actually been really nice to have Andrew able to drive, not only himself, but occasionally running his siblings around too. With spring finally here, Andrew will be getting back into the yard maintenance business soon. Hopefully he can balance it all and still help out around here on occasion. Andrew's Junior Prom is coming up in just 3 weeks and they are planning a FULL DAY of fun things. There is one other couple that they are planning to spend the day with and I don't know who is coming up with all the ideas, but they are EXPENSIVE! Andrew was already out doing extra jobs throughout the neighborhood, just to make sure he had money for the prom tickets, a tux and dinner, but now it's looking like he's going to need an "extra" $100 just for the daytime activities. I don't know what YOUR prom was like, but for ours we wore formal dresses and tuxes, drove in a regular car, went out to dinner, went to prom at a hotel, took pictures there, then came home and stayed up late watching movies. We didn't get to take a whole day off from school to go "sky diving" and "go-carting" BEFORE getting ready for the dance. I just don't get it. Is it really necessary? They're not even seniors. How are they going to top that next year?

Austyn started karate in January and LOVES it!! Our friends from the neighborhood are in it too and they drive him there and home twice a week, which is SUPER!! Alexia had started in it with her friend in November, but has been wanting to quit for the last month or two. She finally got her Out with her sinus surgery and I don't think she'll be back. Austyn, on the other hand, really enjoys it. I haven't gone to watch him yet, but I hear he has a smile on his face the WHOLE time! Austyn is also really into drawing. I finally got sick of all the piles of drawings all over his room, so I got him a notebook with sheet protectors so he can keep the drawings he REALLY wants and the others can go in recycling. He is actually pretty good and a few kids at school have asked him to draw pictures for them as well. He really likes the Japanese comic books and draws the Manga-type characters the most.

Ashley has found that junior high is a little more of a challenge than elementary school, but she is still doing very well in her classes. She had really hoped to be in a play this year and tried out at the junior high as well as the high school, but she didn't make it into either one:( She IS in drama this semester, however, so I'm hoping as the drama teacher gets to know her better, she might have more of a chance with her next audition. (fingers crossed) Ashley is finally babysitting for a couple different families on a fairly regular basis and is excited to actually have some money to spend. She's actually been pretty good about saving her money and is looking at buying a new camera soon. Ashley LOVES to take pictures and her other camera has been out of commission for at least a couple of months, so she's ready to move on with something new.

Spring break just started and the kids will be out of school all next week before Easter, which reminds me, I'm not AT ALL ready for Easter. Usually we have plans and we're going somewhere and doing something for spring break, so I'll have "Easter" ready weeks in advance, but not this year. I am, however, SOOOOOO HAPPY FOR SPRING!! The grass is getting more and more green every day, flowers are popping out in the neighbors' yards, leaves are starting to come back on the trees and the weather has been BEAUTIFUL!! One thing I definitely LOVE about Utah is that we have Seasons!! Sure the seasons get confused on occasion, but there is definitely a noticeable "change" four times a year and I love that! So, HAPPY SPRING!!!!

Well, it's getting pretty late, so I guess that's all for now. Hope to hear from YOU soon!!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

I love reading everyone's blogs, too and I get so frustrated when people neglect them. I have had my weeks when I go without posting, too, but I try to get caught up before a month passes. I agree - it's nice therapy at the end of a crazy day. And I'm not on FB anymore so it's the only connection I have to some people.

I just posted about my sinus surgery I had this week - so glad Alexia's wasn't near what mine was. I have my postop visit tomorrow. Yikes.

Yay for SPRING! It's my fave.