Monday, October 29, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me!!

So, yesterday was my birthday and, as my bro Dave put it very nicely, I am 29 with 4 years experience! Ryan offered to make me breakfast, but Sunday mornings I don't seem to have much time for breakfast, so I told him just a bowl of instant strawberry oatmeal would be fine. Austyn and Alexia tried to convince me they were sick and could not go to church, however, I told them they could not be sick on my birthday, gave them each some Claritin and sent them off to get dressed for church. Of course, they were fine the rest of the day with just the usual allergy-type symptoms we seem to get this time of year. After church we cleaned up a bit and had a simple lunch of chicken nuggets and pie for dessert. My sisters, JennyLyn & Marianne, and their families, came over later that afternoon, along with my brother Dave who was in town for the weekend. They brought fixins for a taco-salad dinner and got this all ready for us. Unfortunately, as I ran out of the kitchen to announce dinner was ready, I managed to catch my little toe on the oven and probably broke it, or at least sprained it pretty bad. Today it is a bit swollen and black and blue all around :-( After dinner, I cleaned up the kitchen in preparation for Ryan's family coming over with cake and ice cream for dessert. Everyone was here by 7:00 and we enjoyed our dessert and visiting until almost 9:00.

On Saturday, the day prior to my birthday, Ryan and I went out to dinner with Kelsi and Rusty. We brought Adalyn along as not to worry as much about the kids left behind with Andrew babysitting. We tried a place called the Dodo, located at the Gateway in downtown Salt Lake City. I had a spinach mushroom quiche, which was quite delicious, however, the others in our party were not very impressed with their dinners. So, not a recommended restaurant, unless you want the spinach mushroom quiche. After dinner we walked through the Gateway, which was filled with little girls, 7 to 12 years in age, who were there in anticipation of the Hannah Montana concert that night. My girls would have loved to have gone as well, but the tickets had been sold out in just 4 minutes (many bought by other ticket vendors) and the resale tickets were outrageously priced.

The kids are out of school today and tomorrow for UEA (Utah Education Association), while there is a big educators convention going on downtown. Of course, the timing of this one is ridiculous, having the 2 days off school just before Halloween, then going back to school On Halloween, only to be up late that night and then have to be up early for school the next day.

Our 10-year anniversary is coming up in just less than 2 weeks, so Ryan and I are trying to plan a little getaway. My sister JennyLyn has agreed to take our 3 girls for that Thursday and Friday night, and the boys should be easy to place as well. We probably won't go too far, but have not yet decided where we'll be. Maybe we will be able to afford a trip to Hawaii or a Caribbean cruise in time for our 25-year anniversary :-)

Thanks to my birthday present from my parents and siblings, I am planning to fly to California for my good friend Heather's wedding this upcoming November 17th. It will be a quick trip, flying in Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday midday, but I am excited to go and see everyone. It's been at least 10 years since I have flown anywhere and I am not looking forward to all the new security hassles, but with such a quick trip I should be able to keep my luggage to a minimum, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Still Excited to go!

The fall weather has stuck around and we have been enjoying mid 60s for several days now. It looks like we won't get out of the 50s on Halloween, but that's no surprise. We did have a warm 75-degree day a week-and-a-half ago, but that quickly changed to a cold rainy/snowy day immediately next. I just love the variety we get here!

Ashley's birthday is also coming up in another week, so we will be doing the birthday party thing again this upcoming Sunday. At least it will be the end of Daylight Savings, so we will get an extra hour to work with on that day.

Just in case anyone is interested . . . the house next door is still for sale . . . . they are about to lower their price again, but are willing to work an even better deal with someone referred by us. Here is a link to see pictures and specs of the house http://www.utahrealestate.com/727231

Well, I better get a shower and get these kids busy cleaning before they all want to go and play. Thanks for all your calls and birthday greetings! I'll bee back soon! Julie :-)

1 comment:

Lara said...

Julie, I talked to Jeannie Wiliiamson on Sunday and there is a change in the wedding plans. Haven't you heard???