Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Too Many Distractions

I guess the saying is "When it rains it pours," Right? Well, apparently that is the case with my work. It seems like it has only been a few weeks since we were all scraping the barrel just to get our full 1000 lines. Now we are looking at Mandatory Overtime for the weekend. Besides that, they are raising up our full time requirement to 1100 lines per day effective May 1st, then up to 1200 lines per day required effective June 1st. For me this will probably mean another hour of work a day, unless I am having a really great day. So, of course, I should be working now, but I am having a really hard time staying focused. I am sure it is just "that time of the month." I usually have a day or two that I can't seem to get ANYTHING done, I just want to scream about nothing, I wish I could hide from everyone, and I really want to just sleep for 2 days until I can get out of this mood. However, I just try to keep going and do what I can to keep from dragging everyone else down with me. I should be fine by tomorrow, HOPEFULLY!

My sister Evelyn will be finishing up her mission in Hawaii mid May and we are hoping to see her out this way soon after she gets home. I am not sure what her plans are yet, probably because she doesn't even know for sure. I've heard she has plans to go to Arizona for a friend's wedding in June, but that's all I know.

My brother Daniel will be serving another 6 months on his mission before returning home around the end of October. On his return, he will be able to say he literally left a piece of himself in Guatemala, as he had to have his appendix emergently removed this past week. Apparently his appendix had ruptured, making him really sick and in a lot of pain. All went well with the surgery and he has been up and walking around. He talked to my mom on the phone over the weekend and assured her he is doing well. We even received an email from him today, saying that he is eating normal food and will be back to his area after he gets his staples out on Thursday. He always has such a positive attitude about everything, and his letters are always a joy to read.

With temps in the upper 70s today, we kept the windows open all day to enjoy the fresh air. Unfortunately, a neighbor a couple houses over and behind us decided this would also be a fine time to burn his weeds. So, what began as a faint smell of smoke in the distance, soon became a strong smell of smoke throughout our house. As soon as Ashley walked in the front door, after school, she asked if someone had been smoking in our house. LOVELY! The smokey smell has now been replaced with a nice rain smell outside, but I don't know if we will be able to keep our windows open long enough to get the smoke smell out of the house tonight.

Adalyn is a real cutie most of the time, but she has become increasingly more persistent in getting my attention lately. It seems every time I sit down to work she needs me. I try to get her all taken care of before I sit down, hoping to get a few minutes of work done, but lately it's just not enough. She will come into my office and grab my hand or a finger and pull. As you may know, you can't type very effectively with someone holding onto one of your fingers. If I manage to free one hand, she will go for the other. If I am able to free both hands, she will start to yell and it is virtually impossible for me to hear what I am to type when she is yelling. Therefore, I must then get up from my desk and follow her, trying to figure out what it is that she needs. Then we start the process again. I really look forward to her nap time when I can work uninterrupted for a couple hours. Unfortunately, by then, I am usually exhausted and would rather just take a nap myself.

Well, I guess I better get these kids going to bed and get back to work or I may never catch up. :-( Bye for now!

3 comments:

Lara said...

It's either feast or famine, right? And those mood swings are so distracting to life. I know exactly what you mean. I really need to hear lots about how Adalyn is bothering you because I'm feeling pretty baby hungry and that is not good! And about Daniel, I feel his pain. My appendix burst when I was a child. It was awful and I had to be hospitalized for a week. I'm glad to hear he's up and well and the Evy is coming home soon!

Tiffany said...

Wow, it seems you have a lot going on! I think you are handling it really well though!
Best of luck with catching up on everything!

Tiffany said...

Oh'man! He is missing out! Maybe you should sneak it in there and wait to see if he notices!
Hey, it could work! :)