Saturday, November 01, 2008

* Halloween and Stuff *

Seriously . . . . Halloween should ALWAYS be on Friday!! It could be like Thanksgiving, Fathers Day and Mothers Day . . . . and could be the last Friday of October every year. It was so nice being out with the kids last night and NOT worrying about getting them up for school the next morning.

As Adalyn is 2-1/2 now, this Halloween was really the first time she could really be an active participants. Unfortunately, she was not as excited as we had hoped. She had a "Fall Festival" to attend on Wednesday, with other pre-preschool kids. It sounded really fun . . . dress up in costumes, crafts, games, fishing for prizes (one of MY favorites), but as you can see from the picture, she was not having fun. :-( She did NOT like the costumed kids (and adults), basically freaked out really, would not put her costume on, and basically clung tight to Ryan the whole 5 minutes she was there. She did manage to get a cute little Halloween bag and 3 or 4 pieces of candy by the time she left, which was way more exciting once she was on her way home. Therefore, I was a little worried for the actual holiday. I was not even going to TRY to take her to the kids' Halloween Parade at school . . . . so I just took pictures of the kids before school and Andrew went to the school in my place. By evening time Adalyn seemed to do better, getting used to the idea after seeing her sisters and brother in costumes. With great enthusiasm on my part, I was able to get her into her little tiger costume (I forgot to get a picture of that) and she went with the kids to about 4 houses on our block. Once she figured it out, she was having fun. I'm sure it also helped that it was still light outside (a big bonus for daylight savings being moved to AFTER Halloween). For the rest of the night she was fine, even though she didn't do anymore trick-or-treating.

Ashley was Hermione for Halloween this year. I think her costume actually turned out pretty cute. For her cloak, I found a large black dress at DI and with some cutting and sewing I was able to transform it into the cloak. She made a wand out of a stick, but was not allowed to take it to school. Alexia decided to use Ashley's "coffin bride" costume from last year (YAY! A costume we already had). Austyn could not decide what he wanted to be For Sure and had switched back and forth between Iron Man, Spiderman, Batman, a robot, ghost, Indiana Jones, etc. Therefore, I didn't start working on anything for him until the last couple days before Halloween. Luckily, 3 days before Halloween, Sears reduced prices on all their costumes and we found a nice Spiderman costume for 50% off!! Hooray! Austyn was REALLY excited and tried it on everyday until Halloween. (I guess I need to get a picture of Austyn with his mask on as well)

















The elementary school had their awards assembly for "Reflections" last Monday. I looked up the "Theme" for this year during the summer, so the kids would have more time to work on projects before the October deadline. Ashley has a goal of entering a project into every category and is getting closer. This year she had an entry for 5 of the 8 categories. She received a trophy for her choreography/dance entry, a medal for literature and a medal for photography. Austyn and Alexia each got a participation prize, but now they are all excited about doing projects for next year!


Oh yeah . . . . I guess I should mention I had a birthday this past week as well. It seems like after 30 I don't really keep track of my age. I often have to take a few seconds to figure it out (maybe I am just losing my memory in my old age :-). Ryan was home for the day and took Addie and me out to lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant, The Ho Ho Gourmet, in downtown Salt Lake. At least Addie liked the fried rice and the fortune cookie. As is our tradition, I always get a Marie Calendar's pie for my birthday, French Apple, since October is Pie Month. This year we also got a Chocolate Satin pie to share with the kids, as they aren't big fans of the French Apple. The chocolate pie worked better for my birthday candles as well.

I just realized I have not yet shared my "joke" with everyone in the blogging world . . . . .

So, we are at Andrew's football game on Saturday. We somehow always end up on the OTHER team's side of the field, usually because I don't want to drag the kids, the backpack, the chairs and the water bottles all to the other side of the field (somehow it is always further from where we park).

Anyway, The opposing team's coach is yelling to his guys . . . . . "Get The Quarterback, Get The Quarterback," But you know what??? . . I am pretty sure our team didn't even TAKE their quarter!!! . . . . Weird! :-)

Sometimes I am so funny I can hardly believe it :-)

Wow! I just looked back to see how long I have been blogging and it has been almost 2-1/2 years! It has really been a great way to keep everyone up to date on things going on around here. It has also been the BEST journal I have ever kept!! I totally don't mind if you skip through my blogs and just look at pictures, since most of the "detailed" information is for my benefit to remember all those details in years to come. Anyway, Thank You to all my loyal blog fans, I always enjoy "hearing" from you in my "comments" area! Bye for now ~*~Julie~*~

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I totally agree about the whole Halloween thing! Maybe there is someone we can call, or a petition we can sign or something--I mean, who WOULN'T want it on a Friday every year?:)
Anyway, thanks for the update! Congratulations to your kids for their reflcections endeavors, and Happy Birthday once again!

Lara said...

Totally meant to wish you a happy birthday last week. Not sure how that got away from me. Anyway, Happy Belated Birthday!

Thanks for the Halloween update. Love to read all the latest.